Friday, June 17, 2016

Andhra Tomato Chutney

I have been missing from here for over a year now, but I guess its high time to restart. And what better way than to start with a hot favorite. This is a family recipe passed down from my grandmother. Recently, I reconnected with someone from my childhood years and was surprised and amused when she told me that she still often remembers the Tomato Chutney that my grandmother and mother used to make. This is also one of the few things that I make, which has met the approval of my mother-in-law :D.



Ingredients

Tomatoes (red, firm)
3-4 (halved and then quatered)
Green Chilies
9-12 (depending upon how spicy the chilies are Or how spicy you want the chutney to be)
Cumin Seeds
1 tsp (dry roasted)
Garlic
5-6 pods
Tamarind
½” piece (if the tomatoes are sour, skip this)
Fresh Coriander
a handful
Salt
to taste
Oil
2-3 tablespoons

Method
  1. 1.     Heat the oil in a pan/kadhai.
    2.      Add whole green chilies and cover. You will hear them bursting. Wait for about a minute.
    3.      Add tomatoes and cover. Cook on high heat for about 2-3 minutes. The peel of the tomatoes should begin to curl and peel away.
    4.      Now remove the lid and cook for another 2-3 minutes on high heat. Keep an eye on it and stir ONLY when absolutely essential. If you stir too much, the tomatoes will get squished and release too much water. You don’t want that.
    5.      Turn off the heat.
    6.      Add tamarind, cumin seeds, garlic and coriander and wait for it to cool.
    7.      Grind coarsely and you are done
PS:-
  • If you want you can add some fresh mint leaves at (4). 
  • This works very well on toast as well as sandwiches.
  • My family loves it with Adai and Uttapams too.
  • You can mix with some Curd and Mayo and use as a dip too.


1 comment: