175 g light muscovado sugar
150 ml sunflower oil
3 large eggs, beaten
160 g (fine to medium) grated carrot
Grated zest of 1 large orange
175 g whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
For the Orange Glaze:
Juice of 1 large orange
2 tablespoons of caster sugar
For the Frosting:
200 g cream cheese (low fat is better)
Icing sugar to taste
1/2 teaspoon of orange essence
1. Pre Heat oven to 160 C (Fan).
2. Take all wet ingredients in a large bowl - sugar, oil and beaten eggs and thoroughly combine with a spoon, beating lightly
3. Stir in carrots, orange zest, and nuts
4. Mix flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and cinnamon together, then sift into the bowl and lightly mix.
5. Pour mixture into prepared tin and Bake for 45 mins, and a wooden skewer comes clean. Leave to cool in tin, but remove before decorating.
6. Squeeze the juice of the orange into a pan (sieve to remove all that isn't juice), and add sugar, and heat slowly until sugar has dissolved. As soon as cake is out of oven, brush the glaze all over the top of the cake and allow to soak in. Leave cake to cool completely, then remove from tin.
7. Mix together the cream cheese, icing sugar, and orange blossom essence. Add more icing sugar if you prefer it sweeter.
Spread the frosting all over the top of the cake.